Chick pea and saffron stew
CHICK PEA AND SAFFRON STEW
175g dried chickpeas, 100g bread in thick slices, 85ml olive oil plus 2 extra tablespoons, 2 cloves garlic crushed, 50g ground almonds, lightly toasted, 1tsp smoked paprika, 0.2g saffron (half a standard spice jar), 1 medium onion finely chopped, 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes, 100g carrots sliced, 100g butternut squash cubed, 175g French beans, 225g pears, cored and cubed, 120ml white wine
1. Soak the chickpeas overnight in salted water
2. To prepare the casserole, cook the soaked chick peas in plenty of fresh water until tender, drain but reserve the cooking water.
3. Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7
4. Coat the bread slices in the 85ml of oil and crushed garlic and toast on a baking sheet in the oven until golden.
5. Put the ground almonds and toast slices in a food processor until ground up, add the paprika and saffron.
6. In a large saucepan, fry the onion in the 2tbs of olive oil until soft.
7. Take the chickpea cooking liquid, make it up to 900ml (1.5 pints) with the wine (add extra water if necessary). Add this to the onions and bring to the boil.
8. Add the vegetables, tomatoes and pears and cook for about 10 minutes until all are tender.
9. Then add the chickpeas, bread/almond mix, stir in well, the bread mix will thicken the sauce, season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.